Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Racism is...

The dictionary defines racism as "the notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior." How it is manifested varies, by word and deed. Most "white" people are not part of the Klan and do not believe in "white power" or "white superiority." They become guilty of racism if and when they are blamed for having privileges. Therefore, it is the act of another, being blamed by someone else, that white people become "guilty white people." In a very personal way, I become aware of the fact, from what someone says or does, I become aware of the fact that I am not you, most specifically, I am not black. That is precisely when I become a white person, when you have made me one. I always find that moment offensive. I also find your racism in my face your problem. I don't take it home with me. I don't spend time with it. Your racism is your problem, but you'd better believe, the minute you make me feel "I'm not you, solely based on race," is the minute I recognize you as what you are, racist.

No comments: